Defence Authority College of Business, established by Defence Authority, is the first and the largest affiliated professional college of the University of Karachi for provision of internationally recognized yet affordable higher education in business administration to residents of DHA and Karachi.
The idea to start business administration education in DHA was conceived in 1996 by the then Administrator. In 2000, Defence School of Business Education (now Defence Authority College of Business) was established and University of Karachi affiliated it as its first professional college for higher education in business administration. The first batch of students in BBA program was inducted in January 2001.
During the first two years, the college was housed in the building of Defence Authority Degree College. In year 2002, it was relocated to the new (present) premises. MBA (2-Year) program was added in 2003. In year 2007, University of Karachi introduced BBA (4-Year) program (replacing the old two-year program). In November 2007, the college was renamed as Defence Authority College of Business (DACB).
The college, one of the youngest educational institutions of DHA, has become one of the largest professional colleges affiliated with the University of Karachi for higher education in business administration. It is at the early formative stage and yet to celebrate the first decade of existence. DACB has established quite well and progressing steadily. Today, its presence is being felt in both academia and industry among the fairly long established degree awarding institutions and universities offering business and management education.
The College has a qualified, experienced and committed faculty; state-of-the art facilities and services comparable to any leading institution; a vibrant and well-behaved student body belonging to educated and respected families of DHA & Clifton; an open yet professional learning environment; safety, security, and proximity from your home; and, above all, a promise for your successful managerial career.
The distinguishing feature of the college is that it fosters scholarship by recognizing merit and rewarding superior performance of its students without regard to their gender, religion, ethnic origin, social class or income. It has been doing a national service in broadening the access of higher business education to all, who deserve the best.
The purpose-built campus is located in the heart of DHA, Phase-VI, amid a peaceful, safe, secure and serene environment. The students living in DHA and Clifton reach here within a few minutes. They are not exposed to traffic jams, stressful long driving, hectic city life and erratic law-and-order situations experienced by others going to a far-flung institution.
They not only save precious time, fuel cost and physical effort but also enjoy peace of mind to focus on studies. Girl students willing to study closer to their homes (and their parents) prefer the college location, especially.
- Computing facilities – Computing facilities include two state-of-the-art computer labs, equipped with the latest computers under network environment. Free broad-band Internet access and disk space has been provided to students, facilitating information exploration for knowledge endeavors from across the world.
- Library – The college has a well-stocked library that holds rich collection of text and reference books, local and foreign newspapers, magazines, journals and audio-visual material. Photocopying, printing, binding, scanning and Internet facilities are available in the library. Students and faculty also have access to Defence Central Library, which is one of the leading libraries in Karachi.
- Class Rooms – Classrooms are equipped with multimedia projectors, comfortable furniture, appropriate lighting, air-conditioning etc. to make the teaching-learning experience comfortable.
- Conferencing – Conferencing facility is available to organize seminars, conferences and extra-curricular activities.
- Transport – Transport facility is available to students from/to various convenient locations in DHA, Clifton and adjoining areas.
- Sports – Facilities for indoor and outdoor sports are accessible to students, who engage in healthy sports activities and events.
- Cafeteria – A self-service cafeteria offers food and snacks to students and faculty in a hygienic and relaxing environment.
- Lockers – Lockers are provided to students for keeping their books and belongings, which they do not want to carry everyday.
- Girls Common Room – The common room is conveniently situated closer to library and cafeteria. It provides an opportunity to girl students to sit, retire, relax or offer prayers in a men-free environment.
- Medial Care – Medical care is available in case of emergency through a visiting medical doctor and DHA Medical Centre.
- Counseling – Qualified psychologist provides counseling and guidance to students on academic, behavior, performance and career related issues, resulting in remarkable gains for them.
- Placement – Placement service help students find internships and jobs at reputed organizations.
- Security & Safety – Security and safety is ensured by the trained security staff of DHA that remain on surveillance and handle an equipped fire point 24-hours a day.
Defence Authority College of Business attracts bright young men and women. The student body, predominated by the residents of DHA and Clifton, has a high female participation.
The students coming from educated and respectable families have good schooling record and exhibit proficiency in English language, self-confidence, good manners, ethical behavior, better exposure and a desire to keep on achieving, which are essential requirements for a successful managerial career.
The college, however, admits students from all segments of society and grooms them to be at par with their privileged counterparts. Students are well-networked and live like a community.
Council of Business Students
It is an organization of the business students at this college. The council organizes various co- and extra-curricular events and activities for students, such as seminars, guest speaker sessions, industry visits, sport events, picnics, musical concerts, welcome and farewell parties etc.
In order to broaden the access of internationally recognized higher business education to all talented candidates, regardless of income group and social class, the college recognizes their previous scholastic achievements and awards them merit scholarships covering full amount of tuition fee. The following candidates, subject to selection and fulfillment of the prescribed requirements, may be considered for award of merit scholarship in the first semester of their degree program.
- BBA 4-Year: SSC/O-Level and HSC/A-Level with minimum 70% marks.
- MBA 2-Year: SSC/O-Level, HSC/A-Level and graduation with minimum 60% marks.
Continuation of merit scholarship to a student (in the next session/semester) will be subject to maintaining minimum 80% attendance, passing all courses and exhibiting good conduct and discipline in previous semester. Failure to meet any of these requirements may put a student on probation for one session/semester and reduce the scholarship amount by one-half. If he/she meets the requirements for the next session/semester, the scholarship may be restored to full. Otherwise, it may be withdrawn fully.
The college encourages and rewards superior performance of its students. The candidates placed on the List of Honor by virtue of passing all courses of a semester in the first and single attempt with a GPA of 3.5/4.0 or higher are eligible of award of Performance Scholarship covering half waiver of tuition fee in the next semester.
The college awards concession in tuition fee to the following categories of students:
- 50% concession is available to children of serving and retired personnel of Armed Forces
- 50% concession is available to children of DHA employees.
- 50% concession is available to sibling of an existing student of the college.
- 25% concession is available in MBA to the students passing B.Com/B.Sc./B.A. from any DHA college.
Address: 3rd Street, off Khayaban-e-Sehar, Phase-VI, DHA Karachi.