Lieutenant General Qamar Javed Bajwa was appointed as the new Chief of Army Staff. Lieutenant General Qamar Javed Bajwa will replace General Raheel Sharif, who is set to retire on November 29. Meanwhile, General Zubair Hayat was appointed as the new Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee (CJCSC).
Lieutenant General Qamar Javed Bajwa Career Highlights:
- Attended the Pakistan Military Academy’s 62nd long course, and was commissioned in the 16 Baloch Regiment in October 1980.
- A graduate of the Canadian Forces Command and Staff College, Toronto, Canada; the Naval Post Graduate University, California and the National Defence Univesity, Islamabad; Bajwa has been posted at several operational and staff positions in the army.
- Commanded Pakistan Contingent in Congo
- Served as chief of the army’s training and evaluation branch
- Instructed at the School of Infantry and Tactics as well as at the Command and Staff College in Quetta
- Served as a Brigade Major of an Infantry Brigade and Chief of Staff of Rawalpindi Corps
- Commanded the army’s 10th Corps – Rawalpindi as Corps Commander, which is responsible for defending the country’s frontiers at the Line of Control
- He was as the IG Training and Evaluation — the same position General Raheel – before being appointed as the COAS.
Both the newly-appointed generals also met the prime minister at the PM House in Islamabad.