Join The Second Floor (T2F) for an interactive session with New York-based artist, David Greg Harth who will share his artwork and videos, talk about his ongoing projects, and conduct a participatory project with the audience.
In addition to showcasing his work, David Greg Harth, who goes by Harth, will also conduct a site and time specific participatory project with the audience called “Packing Pakistan”.
“With this project, I intend to interact with the local community and invite anyone who attends the lecture to participate. As a New Yorker and citizen of the USA, it is not often I get to experience such places as Karachi. My perception may be skewed by the Western media. I’d like to create a dialogue with the people I meet. I will have an empty suitcase with me. I invite any attendee to contribute something to this suitcase. Bring something to the lecture that can fit in the suitcase. Something small but something very meaningful and personal to yourself. Something that is significant to you and something you wish for me to remember you by and remember my experience in Karachi. I will take all these contributions back to New York with me and will document the project on my website and make a small book. This book will be composed of photographs of these objects and stories about the people I meet. Every participant will receive a copy of the book, signed and dated by the artist.
- Any number of participants in the project are welcome.
- One needs to contribute an object and their first and last name to be included in the project.
- Object has to be able to be legally transported by the artist, David Greg Harth, in a suitcase from Karachi, Pakistan to New York, USA. No illegal objects. (No food, no organic material, etc.)
- Object should be small and important/meaningful/significant to the person.
- Upon giving me the object, participant agrees to tell me why this object is significant to them.
- Harth will keep the objects.
- Participant agrees to allow Harth to photograph the object and use their full name on the website and in the book.
- If the participant wants the final signed & dated book that Harth makes sent to them, they must provide a mailing address and email address. Harth will pay shipping costs. The book will be completed sometime in 2014.
I work across a diverse spectrum of media including performance, video, installation, drawing and photography. My work is often time-based and frequently requires public participation. I create unexpected juxtapositions, employing elements of tension and ambiguity in social situations to provoke dialogues on contemporary issues. I explore culture, politics, religion, sexuality, fame and consumerism in my work.
Frequently, my work involves gathering information, documenting, and producing records of subjects ranging from current world, social and economic events, to more specific personal experiences. Often, the process of creating the artwork is as important as the final work itself.
The participatory nature of my work is often crucial – for instance, people signing my Bible, taking a portrait with me in a photo booth or eating a burger with me.
My work is often time-based and long term. For my project “World News Tonight”, I collected material for 15 years.“The Holy Bible Project,” is a 20-year-long artwork in progress. The “Every Person Project” will go on until forever.
In my performances, I create unusual tensions in a common environment. I often put my own body through strenuous activity to explore fragility, struggle and adversity in social and personal situations. I infiltrate the public realm with live street actions and interactive projects, transgressing and questioning social boundaries.
My Thinkways drawings are lines on paper or walls with complex overlapping lines, challenging intersections, fluid curves or straight parallels. They resemble the interweaving nature of circulatory and neurological systems, highways and roads.
Date: Wednesday, 15th January, 2014
Time: 7:00 pm
Suggested Donation: Anything you like. Please support our vision of intellectual poverty alleviation by donating generously.
Venue: PeaceNiche | The Second Floor (T2F), 10-C, Sunset Lane 5, Phase 2 Extension, DHA, Karachi