Join The Second Floor (T2F) for dramatic renditions of Deevani Apa and Sahib Aalam, two picturesque tales by Ashraf Suboohi, set in mid-nineteenth century Delhi. The readings will be preceded by an introduction by Asif Farrukhi.
Ashraf Suboohi’s characteristic portrayal of the customs and culture of Delhi in the mid-nineteenth century references traditions of folklore and storytelling in these two short stories.
- Deevani Apa reflects the life of a naive sixty year old woman who is a beloved household name for many families in the neighborhood.
- Sahib Aalam portrays the respectful relationship between Sahib Aalam and Bankay Mirza and the uncanny decisions these men take in the name of honour.
- Performers: Mahvash Faruqi, Asma Mundrawala
- Sound Cues: Seher Naveed
- Poster Design: Asma Mundrawala
- Direction and Sound Design: Asma Mundrawala
- Recorded Voices: Maliha Ahmed, Shama Askari
The title of this production is borrowed from the book Bazm e Suboohi. Ashraf Suboohi Dehlvi ki Numainda Tehriroan ka Intekhaab, (Schehrzade, Karachi, 2008), with the kind permission of Asif Farrukhi.
Date: Wednesday, 19th June, 2013
Time: 7:00 pm
Entry: Rs. 300
Venue: The Second Floor (T2F), 10-C, Sunset Lane 5, Phase 2 Extension, DHA, Karachi.